What is this?

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

It's Black History Month so...

...leave me alone about it. Every year the same events occur to me during the month of African-American Historical reflection. All will be calm in the classroom, with the exception of muffled conversations bout the epic adventures of the weekend. Then the teacher/professor/ authoritative figure head addresses the class with a tone filled with false excitement with just a dash of sympathy.


"Today is February 1, the start of Black History Month."


And as if I had turned on my magnet pants and everyone in the room had a brain made of a metal alloy, every head instinctively turns in my direction.  Do I look like an Afro-pedia filled with various black facts? I understand that my pigmentation might give the impression that it is encoded with the events of the every African-American that ever lived, but I assure you, history is not my best subject, let alone American History. I am just as confused as everyone else why other people of my race enjoy the combination Fried Chicken and waffles. Maybe we like the idea of an unhealthy brunch. I don't know where you can  get Jay-Z tickets for his new tour. Try Ticketmaster. If they ever start a Brie History Month, ask as many questions as you want.




To be honest, why are we even trying to remember the history of African Americans? It isn't really glowing with America's finest hour. Oh, remember the time segregation was a reality? Here's an idea, let's dedicate and entire month to that! Remember when that woman made history sitting on a bus just like any human should have been able to do? Let's put that on a stamp.

I'm not the only one who is negatively affected by this month. Did anyone read about Don Cornelius today? I'm not going to be the one to break the news to you but let's just say Love Peace and SOOOUUULLL were not enough to get him through another February.


I hope this post didn't make anyone feel too uncomfortable but then again that's how I'll be spending the entire month.


Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment